Tuesday, April 16, 2013

School daze

 
There are a great many benefits to working at Bethel Baptist Christian School.  At the top of my list is getting to see and be a part of my kids school day on a daily basis.  I love that I can peak in their classrooms at any given moment just to see how they are doing.  I love that I know each of their teachers on a personal basis and, over the years, have called many of them friends.  Such is life in a small school where you attend church with most all your co-workers and all your kids attend class together and are friends with one another.
 
Happily reading!
 
Another benefit is that I find out first hand when there is a struggle or something amiss with my kids.  Each of their teachers this year have made a point of keeping me posted on not only their school work, but also when they are having an especially good...or bad...day.  Our usually very social and active kindergartner recently decided that she didn't like school.  Odd, she has always been the only one that wanted to go!  She complained about going for several days in a row, so it was no surprise when her teacher stopped by to chat with me.  "Addison has been one of my top readers this whole year, now all of a sudden she wants nothing to do with it..." she said. Hmmm, something is definitely wrong so I spoke to her that evening and in a rather round about way, I discovered that she was finding her reading difficult and just didn't want to admit it.  So she and I got her little reader out and went over it maybe 10 times....she was in homework heaven!  I honestly think that we had been focusing so much on the boys during "homework time" that she was getting a little jealous.  Well, that and she was confusing some of her long vowel combinations.  So now, while the boys are busy with their homework, she gets out her book and reads to me while I make dinner or works on her cursive writing along side her brothers.  Funny how a little work can make you feel more accomplished!  Thanks Mrs. Sears for taking the time to tell me about my girl!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment