Monday, August 10, 2009

Farming 101

I've been trying to read everything I can about goats and chickens... it seems there are opinions on everything related to the two. Who knew? This may prove to be more difficult than it seems. The first order of business is to get the chickens to lay eggs. At least one has laid several for us, but not in the designated "nest" we've provided. I read in one of the books that hens need "optimal" conditions to lay. Unfortunately, that was not further defined. I decided that maybe cleaner would be more optimal... can I say that?! ANYWAY, we ventured down to the hen house this morning and tried to do some cleaning. Slow work with 1.5 arms and a little girl who's somewhat sceptical of our neighbor's horse, who is also living here. We introduced him to the goats yesterday and that is a whole other story! Anyway, got the nesting area cleaned out and restocked with fresh hay (think I'm gonna campaign for straw...) and finally cleaned and hung the hanging poultry feeder. The chickens were VERY excited to have so much food available. I better get back to reading and see if they can be over fed!

No comments:

Post a Comment