Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Canning nectarines

I was out and about yesterday and decided to stop by a fruit stand to see what they had. Among many delicious choices, they had 25 pound boxes of nectarines for just $8.00. What a deal, right? But honestly, what are you going to do with that many nectarines that are already ripe? I decided to try canning them. I've canned peaches before, how much different can nectarines be? Answer: VERY. First and most troublesome, the fruit does not come away from the pit nice and neat like peaches. In fact, I ended up making quite a mess of the first batch and then finally resorted to cutting parts off and throwing the pit away with all remaining fruit still in tact. Secondly, everything I read said not to peel the nectarines like you do peaches. Not sure yet how this will affect the final product, but it isn't "pretty" like I was hoping it would be... guess I'll wait a few days and actually sample some of the fruits of my labor (it was truly an all day endeavor). After several pints and many, many nectarines still looming, I decided to try and make some preserves. These are currently "plumping"... (don't ask!) so a task not yet complete. I think I have exhausted my homeyness for one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment