Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Happy First Day of Fall

I may have mentioned before that I am trying to do something different with all my classes at least one time a month. Something non-academic, just fun. I've been scouring the internet looking for odd holidays that I can celebrate for those months that don't have something obvious. Of course, September already had something I always look forward to...
THE FIRST DAY OF AUTUMN
First hour I have 9th graders for Algebra and we decided to bob for apples. It was no easy task to get everyone involved! I finally had to resort to bribery...the first to go got 5 points extra credit. That got them going.
and when they stalled, I told them if they'd all do it, I would too!
and I did ;o)
We also talked another one of the teachers, Bro. Goltiao, into giving it a try.
2nd hour I teach Geometry. They are older and slightly more responsible than the 9th graders, so I decided to have them make caramel apples. I was so busy trying to keep the caramel smooth enough to dip the apples in, I didn't get any pictures of the making. But Rachel was kind enough to pose with her apple to show the end product. It was a lot of fun and I think I'll try doing some on my own at home with all the left-over toppings!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment