Saturday, August 9, 2008

Sleepless nights

I don't recall the last time I actually slept through the night. It's been several years, I'm sure. Even on the rare occasion when I am "childless" through the night, it seems that my body still feels the need to wake up and be sure all is well. Then there are nights like last night when the kids are sick: wanting a drink, throwing it up, fever, chills - you name it... added to the "usual routine", last night seemed to never end.

My usual routine consists of feeding Addison and putting her down by 8pm and the boys follow by 9. By the time I actually turn off the bedside light after reading myself into drowsiness, it's close to 11pm. The dogs inevitably wake me between 2 and 3 and want outside. I am seriously considering doing this before bed... anyway, Addison wakes once or twice looking for her pacifier and then she's up around 5 am to eat, then back to sleep for all of us (with any luck) until 6:30 when the alarm goes off. By my calculations, I never get more than 2-3 hours of consecutive sleep! When does this end?

So it is now 10am and thankfully a Saturday because I am still sitting in my pajamas, waiting for Addison to take her morning nap so I can take a shower and try and revive. Zachary has thrown up 2 more times since his first episode at around 11pm last night and is near comatose on the couch, watching Robots for the 3rd time today. His whining is understandably at an all time high, poor kid! Perhaps we'll get through a fourth viewing of Robots more uneventfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment