Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Things that make you go "hmmm"

Do you ever wonder how you got on a subject when you are talking to a friend?  Or why a particular train of thought got so sidetracked?  I stopped by to chat with a friend of mine today and she mentioned my blog, then asked about our chickens.  I set out to update said blog with info on the chickens and in fact, had originally entitled this post "Late Chickens"... when I ended up in WWII!  The following is what was the beginning of that blog:

I've recently been listening to "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" books on CD.  It is something that helps me look forward to (or at least somewhat enjoy) my ironing.  One of the things I appreciate most is the language that the author uses...the stories take place in Botswana, and although they speak English, the verb usage isn't always what we are used to.  For instance, we might say "my late grandfather", whereas they would say, "my grandfather is late".  (This is where I was going to mention my chickens, what with them being "late" and all...but got sidetracked)  Another thing I like is how patriotic Botswanians are... they love their country.  I wish we, collectively, loved our country with as much enthusiasm as they have for theirs.  On this 69th anniversary of Pearl Harbor, we should all stop a moment and remember the sacrifice that so many offered on that fateful day and in the many days of war that followed...(then I realized there was no getting to chickens from here).

And Jackie, since you are probably the only one what will read this, all of our chickens are dead...between the coyote and the dog, we are now chickenless and will no doubt remain so for the foreseeable future.  I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Dearest LaDawn,
    How dreadful for the chickens!
    Had to comment to let you know I WAS here!! : )
    I agree with what you wrote about today! If only we were more patriotic....
    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete