Saturday, July 25, 2009

First, Chickens

We've always called this place we live the Funny Farm, in loving memory of my Dad. Recently, we decided to try and make it a real farm...we drove to Orting and each picked a chicken. Addison and Zachary wanted babies, Kevin picked the larger ones. We got them boxed up and were on our way home. It was a really hot day, but we decided it was best to leave the chickens in the box while we prepared the coup. Kevin and Raymond were busy cleaning it out when I, in my infinate wisdom decided I should at least take the box out of the car so as not to overheat the chickens inside. I started to pull the box from the back of my suburban when I realized that the bottom had been folded, not taped. It gave way and all the chickens came tumbling out! Nothing like chasing chickens in 90 degree heat!! At least it only took 30 minutes ;o)

We started with 6 laying hens

and 2 Ginnie hens & a baby Rhode Island Red

So 9 chickens later, we felt like we had a pretty good start to our farm!

We were rewarded with an egg the very next day! Let's hope they all start laying soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment