Thursday, January 28, 2010

Our Rooster

I'm sure I've mentioned repeatedly the frustration we've had with our chickens. This has definitely been a learning experience for us and hopefully, when (if) we get more chickens, we'll be better prepared. The second set of chickens I purchased were from a lady that didn't want all the chicks she had hatched. They were about 6-8 weeks old and what is called "straight run", which means their sex has yet to be determined. Having no idea of this definition prior, I bought all ten and happily brought them home. Two of our chickens turned out to be roosters! We only realized this after we caught it crowing one morning. Thankfully, they wait until well after daybreak and hopefully, this will continue once the days get longer (and mornings earlier)! I think this particular rooster is rather handsome...I might even name him one of these days.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment