Friday, July 2, 2010

Seattle Museums

We headed up to Seattle yesterday to take advantage of their free Thursday Museums... I brought along a couple of my favorite students, who also happen to be sisters, to help me keep track of the kids and Raymond invited his friend Jeremy to come along, so we had a carload! Our first stop wasn't a museum at all, but Volunteer Park. We decided to wait to explore this until after we'd hit the museum.
.
The Asian Art Museum is part of SAM and located right there in Volunteer Park. I gave Raymond the camera for most of our tour and he had fun taking pictures.
When we came out, I noticed a piece of artwork, I think it was called Black Sun or something Sun... anyway, I realized you could see the Space Needle through the opening if you stood at the correct angle. I'm sure this was by design, but I thought it was pretty neat!


Next was an old water tower. Raymond and Jeremy counted the steps up to the top and there were 108, not counting the steps up to the doorway... I'm so out of shape that my legs felt wobbly-weak when we came back down!
After that jaunt, we decided it was a good time to stop for lunch, so we found the play area and had a picnic. 
 
The kids really enjoyed being able to run around and play (after being on their 'best' behavior in the museum) for awhile. In fact, they really didn't want to leave!

Before we left Volunteer Park, I thought it would be a good idea to find the restrooms and make a pit stop.  The Conservatory was along our way, so we decided to peek in there and I think it was my favorite stop all day! 
 For such a small area, it was absolutely packed with the most gorgeous and interesting plants.  I really enjoyed looking at all of them and I know Raymond enjoyed photographing them!

Next stop...Sculpture Park...
The artwork was interesting and the kids enjoyed just being outside.
Of course, Seattle is full of really fantastic views and the Space Needle is always one that I look forward to seeing.  Our final destination was The Seattle Art Museum.  I'd never been inside so was interested in seeing what they had.  Raymond, of course, took pictures of his favorites!

On our way home, we stopped for Chinese food and everyone, including me, was exhausted!  We had a very busy, very fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment